Thursday 15 September 2011

Different camera shots used in 'Pretty Woman'

I decided to pick out a few camera angles from the film 'Pretty Woman' staring Julia Roberts. I chose this film because it is one of my favourites and I think that some of the camera angles used are very interesting.

I think that this particular shot shows a  Two Shot, and I chose it because when I first looked at it, I felt as if i could feel the emotion in the moment between the two characters. They both look to be almost sly and guilty about something, but also they both have small half smiles on their faces which to me shows inner happiness in the moment between them both.

The next shot that I chose I felt could both be an over the shoulder shot and a point of view shot. The reasons why I thought it fitted into both types of angles was because, when you first look at the scene, the angle is directly over the main characters shoulder, yet her face can be seen in the mirror in front just as it would be in a normal over the shoulder shot. But also, the reason why I felt it could also be a point of view shot was because although the shot is reflected in the mirror, we, as the audience are still seeing what the main character is seeing within the shot, which is her reflection in the mirror. In this particular scene I feel that both characters are feeling a sense of lust for one another due to the way that they seem to be delicately talking to one another, and also as the male in the shot is romantically placing the necklace around his neck with a beaming smile on his face.

This particular shot that I chose, I felt was a long shot, as you can see the main characters physique from head to toe, minus the bottom half being covered by the dress. The reason why I chose this shot because I feel that it was a significant part of the film, where the feelings between the two characters arise onto the surface. And I feel that this is shown very well within the way that the camera has been angled because as shes walking in, they are both looking directly into one anothers eyes, and despite everything around them, they are focusing on eachother as if nothing else is there.

The final shot that I chose was a close up shot of the main female character. The reason why I chose this shot was because it shows a vulnerable side to a usual strong minded character within the film, but here she looks slightly vulnerable. But also I noticed an intense glare in her eyes towards the person that she is looking at, it looks as if she is hooked on them and will not let them out of her site.



I really enjoyed studying different camera angles from films because I felt myself watching films in a much more observant way than I ever had done before. I paid attention to all lighting used, backgrounds and the types of shot in which the characters in the film were being portrayed, and I found it really intriguing when thinking about how that particular shot had been created, why it had been used, and what mood it created within a particular scene. 

No comments:

Post a Comment